LULAC demands that families of victims in Baltimore receive fair treatment, while authorities pause search for bodies – La Opinion

LULAC demands that families of victims in Baltimore receive fair treatment, while authorities pause search for bodies – La Opinion



4caeb3489d27321dac38b36fe2070ecadb284e66

The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), the oldest Hispanic civil rights organization in the US.advocated to ensure that the families of the victims of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore receive fair and respectful treatment.

Until this Wednesday, the death of six workers who were carrying out construction work on the bridge over the waters of the Patapsco River had been confirmed, all of them are Latin Americans.

Two more workers were rescued alive and are in serious condition in the hospital, among them is a Mexican, originally from Michoacán.

“Each person affected must receive fair compensation for their loss so that, as families affected by this tragedy, they can rebuild their lives.”James Fukuda, vice president of LULAC for the northwest of the country, said in a statement.

Two Mexicans, two Guatemalans, a Salvadoran and a Honduran, the fatal victims after the accident that occurred early Tuesday morning on the Baltimore Bridge when the freighter Dali collided with one of the bases of the structure and collapsed it.

On behalf of Lulac, Fukuda expressed his deepest condolences to the families of the six workers. “Our nation is indebted to you, we can and must stop to consider that the workers were of Mexican, Guatemalan and Honduran descent, but above all they were Americans with heart and soul,” the activist noted.

He explained that LULAC is in contact with federal, state and local government officials, requesting that all necessary efforts be made to support and assist families at this time. and in the future.

A GoFundMe account has been created to support the workers’ families.

Salvadoran Miguel Luna, married with three children; the Honduran Maynor Suazo, father of two, are other of the identified deceased.

Two Guatemalans, a 26-year-old man from San Luis (Petén) and another 35-year-old from Camotán (Chiquimula) and two Mexicans, from Michoacán and Veracruz, complete the list of fatalities.

This Wednesday the rescue teams recovered the bodies of Mexican Alejandro Fernández Fuentes, 35 years old, and Guatemalan Dorlián Castillo Cabrera, 26 years old,Maryland Police announced in a press conference.

They stop the search for more victims

Until further notice the underwater search for the victims of the Baltimore bridge collapse after finding the lifeless bodies of two of the six workers who died in the accident.

Maryland Police Chief Roland Butler explained in a press conference that rescue divers They can no longer operate safely due to bad weather and the large amount of debris in the river. “We have exhausted all search efforts,” she said.

The authorities decided to suspend the search “for the moment”, given that they predict that on Thursday the weather will not be favorable for immersion work either.

The suspension of the search tasks was announced in the same appearance in which the discovery of the bodies of two of the six victims of the collapse was announced.

The two were part of a group of eight construction workers, all Latin Americans, who were filling potholes on the Francis Scott Key Bridge early Tuesday when the Dali ship hit the infrastructure.

Keep reading:
– A bridge falls in Baltimore after the impact of a ship while vehicles were crossing at that time
– Baltimore authorities search for 6 people after Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse
– The impressive images left by the collapse of the bridge in Baltimore

Spread the love