Two months after the bridge collapse, access to the port of Baltimore is completely reopened – La Opinion

Two months after the bridge collapse, access to the port of Baltimore is completely reopened – La Opinion



AP24141494501130

The access channel to the port of Baltimore Maryland was completely cleared more than two months after the gigantic Francis Scott Key bridge collapsed due to the attack of the freighter Dalí, authorities announced.

“We have cleared the Fort McHenry federal channel for safe passage,” Baltimore District Commander Col. Estee Pinchasin explained in a statement.

“Although the overall objective of restoring the Federal Canal’s full operational capacity was successful, Every day we think about those who lost their lives, their families and the workers affected by this tragic event.“he continued.

According to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the shipping channel, 700 feet wide and 50 feet deep, is now operational to restore pre-accident commercial maritime traffic.

To do this, authorities had to remove some 50,000 tons of debris that fell into the Patapsco River, blocking access to one of the most important commercial ports in the United States in the Atlantic.

Some 2,000 rescuers, including hundreds of specialists from around the world, worked to remove the pile of steel and concrete with the help of a fleet of tugboats and more than a dozen floating cranes.

The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed early on March 26 due to the collision of the container ship Dalí, which lost control after leaving the port of Baltimore.

The police cut off traffic on the bridge when they received the alert that the boat was drifting, but six construction workers, all of them Hispanic, who were repairing potholes on the bridge, died in the collapse.

Last month, the Dali was moved by tugboatsmarking one of the last steps needed to clear shipping lanes before reopening.

The FBI and the United States Coast Guard are investigating the incident.

Last month, the National Transportation Safety Board said the Dali lost power several times before crashing into the bridge.

Reconstruction of the stretch will take more than four years and cost up to $1.9 billion.according to Maryland state authorities.

On March 30, work began to remove the debris, on May 13, a controlled demolition of part of the bridge structure was carried out and on May 20, the cargo ship, which had remained stranded since the accident, was towed. .

A National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) report said the day before the accident, the Singapore-flagged Dali lost power twice while docked in port.

While, The city government of Baltimore filed a lawsuit against the owner and manager of the Dali cargo ship, the company Grace Ocean Private Limited and the manager Synergy Marine PTE LTDboth based in Singapore and seeking limited liability.

According to Baltimore mayor’s attorneys, both companies provided an incompetent crew to the ship, without adequate skills and training.

prompting police to rush to cut off traffic on the bridge, but there was no chance to evacuate workers repairing potholes on the highway. Two were rescued alive.

The National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating the case, said the crew had been tested multiple times, before and after the disaster, for drugs and alcohol, and that none had tested positive.

Keep reading:

Spread the love