In the state of Florida, as in the entire country, it is illegal to drive without a license. Therefore, when it has been lost or stolen, it is extremely important to request a replacement. as soon as possible with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). Although it is not mandatory, this state agency in charge of granting driving privileges also recommends that people who go through this type of situation report the fact to the authorities simultaneously.
In this way, drivers can avoid being at risk of committing a violation for driving without the required identification and they also avoid the risk of being a victim of one of the most common crimes in the United States: identity theft.
How to get a replacement driver’s license in the state of Florida?
In cases of loss of a driver’s license, the FLHSMV does not consider the police report as necessary. However, in cases of theft, it is highly recommended to guard against identity theft. This reporting is also often beneficial because in the state of Florida people who report a stolen driver’s license to the police get a free replacement.
The process for requesting a replacement—for both lost and stolen licenses—is generally the same and can be completed in two ways:
This modality is the most recommended for those drivers who lost their license. It can be done through GoRenew.comwhich is the FLHSMV website available for this type of online procedure. The steps to follow are those:
1. Visit GoRenew.com.
2. Select the number that will be used to track identification data on file: driver’s license number, license plate number, or vehicle identification number (VIN).
3. Provide date of birth and last four digits of Social Security number.
4. Pay an appropriate fee: $25 if the license is lost or damaged. In case of stolen licenses, it is enough to show the police report so that the procedure does not have any cost.
After the process, the applicant must wait for the license to arrive in about two weeks at their postal address.
This modality is the most recommended for anyone who needs a replacement for their license because, although it implies some more requirements, it supposes the delivery of the document immediately. The steps to follow are those:
1. Schedule Appointment at a local FLHSMV office.
2. Present: 1 document that serves as proof of identity, 1 document that serves as proof of Social Security Number (SSN), 2 documents that serve as proof of residence address.
3. If the applicant has legally changed his name, a document that proves it.
4. Pay the applicable fee: $25 for license replacement and $6.25 for office use. In cases of theft, these fees will be exempt.
After completing the procedure, the FLHSMV will deliver the duplicate driver’s license to the applicant immediately.
You may also like:
– Step by step: how to apply for a Real ID driver’s license in New York
– How possible it is to get a driver’s license in Texas if you are undocumented
– How to subscribe to the TEENS system in New York, to monitor how your teenager drives